Sunday, January 31, 2010

Allow me to introduce myself

My name is Jordan Graham and I am currently a sophomore at Baylor University. I am from Garland, Texas, where I have lived most of my life, but currently live in Waco to attend Baylor. I value my time here at Baylor and I welcome the chance to learn a wide spectrum of things, so that I can better educate myself.

I enjoy and I am very passionate about music. I can listen to anything from Rap music to Classical music and everything in between as long as it is quality music. In general I have always been infatuated with art whether it is music, paintings, film or literature. I love the raw emotions that are expressed in art because they allow the artist to be vulnerable and better relate their life with others.

Sports have also been a main interest in most of my life, with hockey and tennis being at the forefront. I play for the Baylor hockey team and I must say I love that every Wednesday night I get to go play hockey for an hour and a half and only worry about a tiny, black puck.

I am currently a Bio/Pre-Med major, but I have been contemplating the idea of changing my major to Philosophy/Pre-med. In the last year I have been questioning if I want to continue to pursue the medical field or simply choose a new path altogether. One thing I am sure of is that I want to major in Philosophy. Although I am fairly new to this philosophy thing, I thoroughly enjoy it and I believe it plays a crucial role in how I live my life from day to day. I am particularly fond of the works of Nietzsche and Descartes. I concur in their notion that a greater focus should be put upon the world we live in instead of focusing upon the world of the divine, which we will always continue to be ignorant about. Although I do not necessarily agree with some of the works of Ancient Philosophers such as Plato and Socrates, I enjoy reading them and certainly respect their brilliance. I try to be open to different ideologies and beliefs, so that I can push my boundaries and develop previously unconsidered ideas and understand different people’s views and opinions better. I feel a need to be aware of the various philosophies of others, but I refuse to be hindered by the limitations that people try to put on me due to their perceptions. I will always continue to life as I see fit regardless of how other people think or feel about my life style.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for setting up the blog. I also like Descartes and Nietzsche. I don't always agree with Plato and Socrates myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan, I'd love to see some new posts some time. my current question: Do you think any of the ancient thinkers we've studied thus far place enough emphasis on the world we live in, as opposed to the divine? If so, which are your favorites and why? I have a feeling you'll like (at least parts of) Aristotle.

    N

    ReplyDelete