Friday, May 7, 2010

Fighting a Losing Battle?

In the article “Point of View” by Robert Coles the disparity between intellect and character is discussed. A Harvard professor gives a detailed account of a student of his whom had discovered the unfortunate truth about morality; just because one has knowledge and understanding of morality, does not mean that they will necessarily put to use these teachings in their daily actions.
Students due not utilize the morality taught in class primarily because of humanities’ inherent fear of change. The exploration of a new territory is noticeably met with unwillingness due to apprehension. People develop a comfort with how they life their life through habituation, therefore it is only normal for there to be difficulty when attempting to act justly in accordance with one’s intellect. I can easily identify with a student whom attains a plethora of knowledge concerning morality and ethics, then simply ignores it. It would be rather easy to focus on getting a good grade in my Classical Philosophy class without vigorously examining the ideas in the various works we have studied and actually applying them. I have developed my way of thinking throughout my last twenty years, therefore there is a certain level of reassurance with how I live my life. My morality is deeply ingrained within me, so how can I be expected to change my very being after reading a few insightful collections of works? I must readily question my deepest beliefs and ethics that I have used as guidelines to live my life, so that I can slowly improve upon them. One must have an active acceptance to change their autonomy in order to employ the dynamically constructed intellectual philosophies they have been so graciously taught.
Moreover, I find it interesting that schools have attempted to make the connection between character and intellect in the feeblest of ways. Now, Schools focus less upon integrating ethics into ones life, and more upon having students regurgitating a select bit of information for a grade. School has become systematic. As the professor in the article discussed, there is a common sentiment among schools that morality is acquired at home rather than in the confines of academia. I do not think schools can make major leeway in shaping a majority of student’s morality, so I do not really fault them for their reluctance. Small victories take place in bridging the gap between intellect and morality with simple exercises such as this very blog I am writing for my classical philosophy class. It allows me to try and relate the philosophy I am taught in class with the daily happenings of my life. By contemplating how the teachings of these philosophers can have a direct correlation with my life, I am more likely to merge by intellect with my character.
It is such a steep mountain to climb because our morality and how we act is manipulated at molded by so many outside forces, so any school trying to link moral action and intellect has a magnitude of competition. Realistically, schools tend to have a minimal impact on people’s morality, but it seems that a true change in creed only occurs when one either is actively looking to refine their beliefs, or when one has experienced an impactful experience that resonates with them and forces them to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment