Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Rant on Being

After reviewing for the final and re-reading material on the Sophists I felt compelled to address the Sophist movement from Being, that previous philosophers such as Thales, Anaximander, and Anaximenes were so concerned with, towards the commodity that is known as humanity. My interest for the subject of the “arche” has always run thin, which can explain my lack of blog posting on these Pre-Socratic Philosophers. I never felt any drive to critique a philosophy that was primarily focused on water, because it seems so nonsensical and irrelevant. The composition of the world and natural laws of the universe are obviously an important knowledge to have, but I dreaded that so many of the philosophers we have studied defined life in such a way that neglects the miraculous being of humanity. Maybe I do not fancy physics for the same reasons that I do not fancy the philosophies such as Thales; the study of matter should take a backseat to obtaining insight on living a happy and virtuous life. Human beings have been reduced to mere entities and compositions of various other things, when I think the prominence of a much more practical philosophy should be emphasized to a greater extent. As mentioned in my introduction blog post, I have always felt the need to take a much more pragmatic concern with philosophy. A philosophy that it can be applied to my life in ways that is relevant to me in my current situation. It is enjoyable to read philosophy such as Aristotle’s, which lay out a precise formula to lead a life that is in pursuance of excellence. We can examine the natural laws of the universe only so far, but the examination of humanities’ cognitive abilities and autonomy can have a much more profound effect. Life is relative, therefore man’s perceptions are reliant on his/her daily endeavors and the focal point of one’s life should be on his/her affinity to lead a life with a strict sense of diligence and discernment so that we can live in a harmonious unity with those around us.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful posting, and I also felt a little disinterested in the pre-Socratics. While I think it must have been fascinating to live at a time when no one knew what the earth was made of or how it was made, etc., I feel that especially now people should focus more on being good and on relationships that promote good. After all, since science has its limits, our moral decisions and our actions throughout life do not...we can have more of an affect by living virtuously than we can by arguing the formation of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I can see where you're coming from. For me, personally, I've always been very interested in the concept of being, and what makes us who we are. Every time I contemplate or study such things, I always seem to take something gained from said contemplation and apply it, consciously or otherwise, to my life. But I suppose philosophy speaks to us all differently, meeting us halfway between our passions and our questions.

    ReplyDelete